Friday, September 23, 2022

Chapter One - "Well Look Who the Cat Dragged In..."

"The Green-Eyed Monster"

Author: Haruo Chikamori

E-mail: hhchikamori

Rating: M

Classification: K

Spoilers: N/A

Summary: After Paraguay; after the CIA, Harm finds a friend he thought he would never see again. In the middle of Back in the Saddle and before Close Quarters (Harm really didn't work that long with Grace Aviation – so this is going to be a tight-timetable AU fic).

DISCLAIMER: The characters Harm Rabb, Jr., Sarah "Mac" Mackenzie, Meg Austin, AJ Chegwidden, et al. belong (in concept if not name) to CBS/Bellisarius. No profit is being made from this story, nor is any infringement intended. Animal is the property of Heather and Hugo Chikamori.

"Who Says You Can't Go Home Again"

GRACE AVIATION

BLACKSBURG AIRPORT

BLACKSBURG, VA

"Hey, Harm, can you pick up some parts for the crop-duster?" A cheery voice assailed Harm's ears. The crisp morning air made his nose twitch as he smelled a faint aroma of manure from the fields nearby.

"Sure thing, Mattie." He said quietly looking at the clipboard that held all the jobs that they were supposed to do for the farmers around the area in Blacksburg. "I thought we had to do the Simpson's field today though?"

"Nope that's tomorrow." Mattie assured him confidently. "But I do need those parts today. The mechanic needs 'em. So…Harm…git goin'!" she said winking at him, ushering him to the truck that he was supposed to drive to the regional airport over in Roanoke, VA to pick up some parts from Roanoke Aircraft Maintenance and Parts.

"Gettin' goin'." He retorted. "I'll see you in a couple of hours. I gotta get myself something to eat too on the way back." He got into the truck and headed out of the airport to Research Center Drive then onto the ramp that lead to Highway 460.

ROANOKE AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE AND PARTS

ROANOKE REGIONAL AIRPORT

39 MIN LATER

Pulling into the parts place, he took the invoice slip over to the counter. "Morning, John. I'm here to pick up some parts for Grace Aviation?"

"Good to see ya." John was the lanky proprieter of Roanoke Aircraft Maintenance and Parts. "So, ya got some money for me?" He asked as he laid the needed parts on the counter. "Or is it on tab like usual?"

"Nope. Some of her accounts receivables came in, so we're paying cash for them." Harm replied, a little annoyed at the sarcasm. Mattie was running into some difficulty with the business, but she always paid her bills.

After paying the bills, he decided to run into the airport terminal to see if he could get a bite to eat at a convenient airport restaurant. Making his selection, he grabbed a quick sandwich (lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and bean sprouts). He was just in the process of paying for the sandwich when a blond woman in a Lieutenant Commander's whites with line officers stars on her Lieutenant Commander shoulder boards grinned at him "Hey, that's an interesting sandwich." Harm looked at her for a long moment trying to match up her face with someone from his past. She looked familiar but he still had a tough time placing her in his memory. The Lieutenant had blue eyes, a charming smile and long blonde hair that she had in a bun behind her officer's combo cap. She got to him first. "Don't I know you from somewhere?" She asked, a rather familiar smirk on her face. "So…you're dressed like a civilian, wearing oil-stained clothes during the middle of the day and you look like this guy who I used to know in the Navy. A really handsome guy, that is. You look like you could be his clone." The blonde female lieutenant commander stated wryly. She said preparing to give him an interrogation. The blonde LCDR paid for her food and said. "Let's sit down and I can grill you some more." She grabbed a bite of her fries, chewed and swallowed, then continued her third-degree. "So…were you ever in the Navy?"

"I resigned." Harm said shortly. "I guess I pissed off my CO one too many times."

"So where did you work." She smiled slowly.

"Falls Church, Virginia." Harm replied. "You look like someone I know too. She was a spitfire and had quite a bit of spunk for a lieutenant junior grade. I remember she and I chased down this computer geek that was trying to hijack a sub and maneuver a torpedo towards a cruise ship. Oh…and there was this time that she and I ended up in Cuba…where she told me directly to my face when I said that my friend was the second best pilot…"

Her eyes twinkled as she laughed… "And I said. 'Next to the CAG…sir?'." She got up out of her chair as Harm got up, his eyes warm. "How are you doing, Harm?" Meg said as she wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a warm hug. "Fancy meeting you in a place like this."

"How'd you end up shuttling through Roanoke. This wasn't one of the main airports that I'd think that the Navy would put you through if you're going to a duty station." Harm looked puzzled.

"Well, Harm. The truth of the matter is…" Meg said, "I've done my line tour as a Weapons Development Officer and I decided to go back to JAG. Actually, Harm, I was going to go back because of you, but since you're no longer there…I guess I'm just going to have to be solo." She finished as she said with a hint of sadness that they couldn't partner up…and gave him a mock-disappointed high-nosed sniff for good measure.

"So when is your flight…to get you closer to where you need to be?" Harm asked.

"That's the problem. I think I'm stuck here in Roanoke. There doesn't seem to be a flight that leaves before next week and I have to report on Monday. It's Friday now."

"Well, I'm heading back to my apartment and I can drop you off at the gate at JAG on Monday if you want to crash at my apartment until you find a place." Harm offered.

"Well, you must have caught me on my off-day, Harm, because I normally refuse offers of hanging out with an unmarried guy, but I'll bite on this one." Meg replied.

"Your luggage here?" Harm asked Meg; ignoring her jibe.

"Yep, just me and one carry-on and a suitcase." Meg smiled at him and said. "You know, it seems like old times."

"Yeah, it does, Meg." Harm replied. "You know I missed you? You disappeared without saying anything and then I got this jarhead of a partner that proceeded to drive me insane."

Grabbing her luggage, she tossed them in the back. "Awwww, I guess I'm just going to have to make you all better, aren't I? I'll even help you find all your marbles."

"Gee, thanks." Harm replied dryly. "I think Mac's tossed a few of them where I won't be able to find 'em again."

"Mac?" Meg asked curiously, her eyes twinkling with merriment. "Mac?"

"She's a Marine…that's dedicated her life to driving me absolutely batshit insane." Harm swore softly.

"Oh…" was Meg's short acknowledgement.

The drive back to Grace Aviation was filled with laughter. Mattie greeted Meg with a hearty, "How are you?" and then told Harm that he could take the day off since he wasn't needed for flying any crop-dusting assignments.

As Harm transferred Meg's suitcase and carry-on bags (his bike was acting up that day) to his Lexus, Meg grinned at him. "Dusting crops, driving a Mom-mobile? What happened to you?" Meg looked at him. "Who are you and what did you do to the Harm I remember?"

"I grew up." Harm said laconically. "Also my Corvette got stolen."

"Awww." Meg said sympathetically. "That was a nice car." She offered a condolence.

"And to top it all off, Mac went and got herself a new Corvette the same day that I got my Lexus…" he spat out the offending word. "Mom-mobile!"

Meg laughed; her voice ringing merrily in the confines of the car. Harm winced. "Thanks for the sympathy." His dry sarcastic tone made Meg laugh harder.

Their drive back to Harm's loft apartment just north of Union Station was filled with reminiscing about times past.

"…and you went back into flying…and your girlfriend, what was her name, Jordan Parker, turned around and dumped you?" Meg sighed. "Poor Harm. Jilted every single time…" she said quietly as they pulled into the garage.

Harm looked piteously at her. "Yep…never the bridegroom…always the best man…" he opined with a mock bow in her direction. And I'm pushing 42…confound it. Thought I'd be married by now and have a couple of kids. But ya play the cards dealt you." He grinned. "So, Meg, what about you?"

"Not much time for relationships when you're working in NAVSYSCOM." She said wryly but then softened her voice to a very sensuous purr and gave out what appeared to be an admission. "There was one…torrid…night in Acupulco…during a…" Harm looked like he had swallowed a bug. Meg burst out laughing "Just kidding. Had to throw that in there to see what you looked like…and believe me, it was worth it."

Yes, it was like old times. Harm thought to himself. Meg and Harm had settled back into an easy rhythm of teasing each other. It was so different from the relationship he thought he had with a certain Sarah Mackenzie. Mac on the other hand wasn't so quick to laugh, nor was she the type to joke around with him. Her sense of humor was more cutting than joyful. It was a quiet homecoming for Harm, who carried Meg's bags in for her, saying quickly. "I'll take the couch, you take the bed. Meg, go make yourself comfortable."

"Thanks, Harm." She said easily, comfortable being with her old friend again. When she had gotten refreshed, she grabbed one of his t-shirts; the only thing that she had taken with her were some dresses and her uniforms. Unfortunately she was going to have to pick up some more clothes as a result of raiding and discarding most of her leisure clothes so that she could move quickly back to her old post. Quickly looking through his dresser drawer, she found a set of trackpants that she could easily slip on and tied the tie up so that she was able to wear them without it slipping off. She didn't fail to notice Harm's uniforms still hanging up in the closet. She noticed the three full stripes as well as the oak leaf covered brim of his officer's cap; the one row of oak leaves that denoted either a commander or a captain; the mill-rinde staff officer's insignia on his sleeves. She smiled. He was still above her in rank. But she was trying her darndest to catch up.

Heading out to the living room, she sat down on the couch and relaxed. Harm noticed that she had picked out his VF-241 Howlers t-shirt to wear and she wore it well. Despite the difference between the two of them in age; he felt a kinship towards her that to him went beyond a brotherly affection.

The evening was getting on when Harm noticed how late it was. "You know what. I haven't eaten and I doubt neither have you since that sandwich at Roanoke Airport. It's been a four hour and a half hour drive. We should order something. Chinese sound good?"

"Absolutely." Meg replied. "Now that you bring it up, I'm famished. Now I hope that you're buying." She teased.

"Of course." Harm gave her a cheeky 'I'm insulted' look. "When any friend shows up after such a long time as you've been gone, I'd better be treating them to dinner."

"Glad to hear it." Meg riposted.

It took forty-five minutes for the food to appear after Harm ordered it. Absolutely hungry with their stomachs making audible complaints, they dug in.

Meg was adamant that she start looking for a place of her own so that she would be situated when she was scheduled to report in. So that was what took up the rest of the weekend. They went from apartment to apartment and looked for the one that would put her closest to Falls Church, yet give her enough space to call it an actual apartment which was affordable to a Lieutenant Commander's salary.

By Sunday afternoon, Meg had found what she was looking for, a comfy two bedroom apartment in Reston about as far away from Falls Church as Harm was coming in from Union Station.

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA

0930 HRS

"Lieutenant Colonel Mackenzie, Lieutenant Roberts. I have received word that Commander Carolyn Imes is being investigated by the Virginia State Bar for conducting prosecution and defence of court cases without being a member of the Bar of the State of Virginia. Do you understand exactly how big of a black eye, this gives JAG?" Rear Admiral Chegwidden glared, raising an eyebrow. "8 years, she has worked under the auspices of this office and she has lied about her being a licensed lawyer for the State of Virginia." He paused a moment in his rant "Do you know what's going to happen with the media if they catch word of it. As it is we are going to have to go through each and every case that she has worked on or had anything to do with and see if there has been any mistakes, any errors in judgement. Oh, hell, this whole damned thing is going to be a major clusterfuck!" he swore.

"Over 8 years…sir." Bud ventured to say. "That could be hundreds of court cases, thousands even."

"Make that tens of thousands." The admiral's sarcasm was dripping with venom. "We're going to have to bring someone back on board. Someone who is capable helping research and overview the cases so that there are no irregularities." Giving a hard look at Bud and Mac, he said. "And you two are busy, but I am going to pile Article 83 & 131 punitive charges for court-martial pending an Article 32 hearing." Admiral Chegwidden sounded absolutely disgusted. "Also Lieutenant Roberts. We have a new officer coming on board today. Would you be so kind as to show her around?"

"Yes, sir."

No comments:

Post a Comment