Friday, September 23, 2022

Chapter Eight - "Angry AJ"

REAR ADMIRAL CHEGWIDDEN'S OFFICE

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA

MONDAY

"You know, it stinks that you're poaching my best lawyer and my personal yeoman from my office." glowered Admiral Chegwidden.

"They're not happy here, AJ…not with the way that you've been behaving." Animal said.

"Where'd you hear that?" AJ growled, not pleased with that revelation.

"It doesn't take a clairvoyant. AJ, to feel the atmosphere around here." Animal retorted. "The atmosphere is tense. Everyone's on tender-hooks around here just wondering when the next blow up is going to come. I'm taking two of your catalysts. The rest of it is up to you, AJ…see if you can change. Or the next person who comes here is going to be SECNAV Sheffield with walking papers." Animal turned abruptly. "I'll be seeing you, AJ. I'm sure you got a lot to think about."

When Animal had left, AJ let out a deep sigh and a rather defeated sounding "Goddamnit!"

JAG BULLPEN

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA

MONDAY

1130 HRS

"Well…that went well…" As Animal headed out to the bullpen, he was accosted by YN2 Coates and the officers waiting for him. "Everything went swimmingly." He said to Jen who saw right through that.

"I see you're coming out with your head intact, sir?" Jen stated.

"Naw…Yeoman 2, it takes more than an angry SEAL to frighten off this ol' aviator, not after experiencing a 'turn in the barrel' or two."(what an aviator goes through during night traps during pitch black no moon nights or during a storm, when he can't seem to get aboard no matter what he tries and only ends when he is near bingo fuel and having a serious case of the chickenshits). Animal replied to Jen who just looked confused at that turn of phrase. Harm figured that since Jen was going to be hanging around aviators a lot at Pax River, that she would end up having to learn about the terminology. Mac looked pretty sour continually gazing daggers at Meg who was standing close to Harm. "Those captain's stripes suit you just fine, Harm." Animal grinned.

"Well, thank you, sir."

"No, thank you…" Animal said grinning evilly. "Besides, you're the only aviator I know in JAG that I could possibly poach off AJ's staff." And turning to Jen, "And considering that everyone around here thinks you're an absolutely outstanding yeoman. Why not pick and choose the best staff that I can get."

"I don't know what…Colonel Mackenzie, but it certainly feels like we've just been insulted." Meg smirked at Mac who wasn't sure what to make of Animal's statement.

"I think what the fine admiral here is meaning to say…" Harm grinned. "…is that you two are indispensable to JAG."

Mac and Meg looked at each other and said in unison. "SUCK-UP!" Animal snickered. This was evidently a temporary truce between the two women but he figured that it wouldn't last long past the end of the day.

"Think Admiral Chegwidden will go berserk if you played hooky for half an hour? Lunch is in half an hour anyways." Animal said to Meg and Liandra?

"I don't know about Admiral Chegwidden," Lia said, "But Admiral Morris might."

"I outrank RDML (lower half) Morris, by one stripe. My dear." Animal replied looking at Lia with a sly grin. "I'm sure he'll understand that a superior requested your attendance."

"You're just bad." Lia smirked at him.

"I know. I'm an aviator. We aviators are all bad seeds." Animal said.

"Speak for yourself." Harm replied. Animal just grinned back at him. Meg and Lia just rolled their eyes.

Lia looked over at Mac. "So…" she raised her eyebrow in question.

"I've got Imes cases to look over. I'll take my lunch late." Mac said. "I'll see you four later."

Harm took his civilian clothes which were in the new garment bag and put them in his car. Then the four left in one vehicle to go find a place to eat.

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA

MONDAY

1245 HRS

Mac looked up from her files to see RADM AJ Chegwidden looking down at her. "Can you tell me, Lieutenant Colonel, just what transpired today?"

"Asides from Harmon Rabb Jr, getting a promotion to O-6 and bolting for Pax River? Sir?" Mac asked.

"Because I feel like I got my pockets picked and my head is still spinning as to what the goddamned hell just happened." AJ muttered. "Walk with me, LCOL Mackenzie. We're going to take a lunch. Get Harriet, she hasn't eaten either since this morning. Evidently her appetite has gone south too."

"Yes, sir." Mac said as she grabbed her overcoat and garrison cap from the top of her filing cabinet as she made an effort to gather herself together so that she could accompany Admiral Chegwidden to lunch. Running into Harriet on the way out, they mentioned that they wished her attendance as well. Harriet joined them.

MARK'S DUCK HOUSE

WASHINGTON STREET

FALLS CHURCH, VA

MONDAY

1315 HRS

When they were settled at the restaurant and had ordered, RADM Chegwidden looked at Mac. "Anybody know if Admiral Nakamura has done picking JAG clean?"

"Well, all we know is that no-one else other than Captain Rabb and Yeoman Coates were selected to go to Patuxent River, sir." Harriet responded. "No-one else."

"It seems, RADM Nakamura was looking for specific skill-sets in the people he took." Mac said quietly.

"You are my Chief of Staff, Colonel Mackenzie." RADM Chegwidden replied. "Quietly make a survey to see if anyone else approaches my staff. I don't want my command to be a breeding ground for other commands to see if they can high-tail off with my staff."

"Yes, sir."

As they ate, they discussed damage control strategy. "Y'know, Colonel, Lieutenant, I've been a bear these past few months, the whole Rabb incident notwithstanding. I'd like to take this time to apologize to you two because you two and Rabb have been bearing the brunt of my anger."

"Sir?" both Harriet and Mac questioned.

"I guess it's pretty much becoming clear that this year is my last year in command and I've been thinking about retirement. The whole process…of separation from the service…" AJ picked up another BBQ Pork slice and took a bite of it. "…isn't without its share of grief. And I guess I've been going through the grief process a bit." He admitted. "There's a lot of anger and disappointment that I probably won't be up for my third star after a damned good and decorated career and it has been most unfortunate and unwarranted that I have taken my frustrations out on my staff. After all, nine and a half years as Judge Advocate General; that's a pretty good run." AJ said. "Most COs get three at the most. So I've had triple the office duration that I would normally have had. And it's time to throw the hat in and try something else for a change. I will be staying until May 21st, 2004, and then I will be retiring to take my chances with something else in civilian life."

Harriet and Mac looked at each other in shock. This was unexpected and frankly worrisome. With RADM AJ Chegwidden now declaring unofficially to the two of them, that he was planning on retiring, there would be no steady hand at the helm.

"Well, we can only wish you the best. Sir." Harriet said.

AJ smiled at the both of them, a rare sight these past six months. "Just keep a lid on it for the time being. I will announce it to the staff when I'm ready to do so." He stated.

When they returned from lunch, Meg was already back in her office hard at work. Mac resisted the urge to sabotage Meg's work by disrupting her emotional equilibrium – it would have been too apparent of a ploy - and headed for her own office. The thought of making life hell for Meg was appealing considering the fact that Commander Austin had stolen Harm right out from under her. Yes, Mac was likely to explode when reliving the memory of how Meg had kissed Harm directly on the lips when Admiral Nakamura had mentioned that PDA regulations were suspended. Damn him. He knew exactly what he was doing and encouraged Meg to do so with that smarmy statement and showy staring at his watch. Mac could barely concentrate on her files and the trudging through those cases was hard-slogging work but she realized the alternative, tearing out her hair, wasn't going to get her anywhere either. The hours went by quickly as she could barely manage to get her concentration under control and she knew that it was going to be another long night with the file box.

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA

MONDAY

1715 HRS

Commander Nakamura knocked on Mac's door. "Working late again tonight, Mac?"

"Yes." Mac replied shortly. "I need to get at least twenty of these folders done by the end of tonight before I head home."

"Well, don't be too long with it. You got court with me presiding tomorrow. The Jenkins case…" Lia said. "See you in the courtroom 0930 sharp." She said as she closed the door and headed out of the JAG office to the waiting car.

"Damn!" Mac grumbled thinking that she needed to make sure that her prosecution case was all ready for court the next day as well. 'Damn Harmon Rabb Jr. and damn Meg Austin!' she thought to herself as she tried to bash through a few more cases.

'Speak of the devil and who should appear'… Mac thought as the door opened and Meg peered in. She had her combo officer's cap on as well as her overcoat and she said. "Well…I'm off. Got to get home, prep a few cases and be ready for court tomorrow too. Admiral Morris this time…"

"Good luck." Mac said shortly. 'Hmmm, maybe she's staying at home to go over her cases. I'll go ask Harm to give me a hand.'

HARM'S APARTMENT

NORTH OF UNION STATION

WASHINGTON DC

MONDAY NIGHT

1845 HRS

Mac pulled up at Harm's Apartment building and went up the rickety elevator. Knocking on the door three times elicited no answer. She shrugged her shoulders. So much for that idea. Sighing vehemently, she headed back downstairs to get back in her car and head on a lonely trip back home.

GRACE AVIATION

BLACKSBURG VA

MONDAY NIGHT

2005 HRS

Harm pulled up into the hangar area just as Mattie was closing up shop. "Thought you weren't coming back." Mattie said rather bitterly as Harm walked into the hangar. "Thought you were going back into the Navy."

"Yes, that's true, Mattie." Harm said. "But the one thing is, that you're underage and it's only a matter of time before Child Protective Services finds out about this operation."

"You the one that's gonna tell 'em?" Mattie asked sharply ever vigilant for the betrayal.

"No, Mattie, I'm not going to tell them. But what I am going to do is I'm going to petition the State of Virginia to become your guardian." Harm stated as he looked at Mattie.

"You don't have to do that. You can back out if you want, I'm not going to hold it against you." Mattie said worriedly.

"I made a promise, Mattie, and I intend to keep it." Harm replied, decision already made up in his mind. "And since I'm going to be in Pax River, I'm going to come up every weekend to Blacksburg to come see you and make sure that everything is OK. Remember, Mattie, once a week at the very least."

"Bring pizza if you're coming." Mattie riposted.

Harm grinned at her. "Yeah…I'll do that." And held out his arms opened wide.

Mattie, tough girl that she was, having to show more maturity and resilience than any fourteen year old should ever have to for so long of a time, melted into his arms as she realized just how fortunate that she had met Harm.

"I gotta go…" Harm said as he released her from his arms after a long hug. "I gotta head for Patuxent River and it's a five and a half hour drive from here."

"OK, Harm. I'll see you later." Mattie replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment